Mardi Himal trek is one of the hidden gems of the Annapurna region, and in recent years, it is gaining popularity among the travel enthusiasts. Many people see Mardi Himal Trekking as a better alternative to Annapurna Base Camp Trek, which tends to get crowded during the peak tourist season. This trek will take you to the Mardi Himal base camp where you can witness the picturesque view of mountains that decorate the Annapurna massif. This newly opened trail has a lot to offer, and there is a lot of exploring that is yet to be done.
- Drive along the beautiful Prithivi highway.
- Trek through dense forests and picturesque villages.
- Might come across wildlife and diverse range of flora.
- Get to see panoramic views from Mardi Himal Base camp.
- Learn the culture and lifestyle of the locals in Siding village.
- Admire the surreal view of the beautiful Annapurna mountain ranges, Mardi Himal, Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Nilgiri, Mt. Machhapuchhre, etc.
Day 01Arrival in Kathmandu.
Day 02Sightseeing in Kathmandu and meeting with your trekking guide.
Day 03Drive to Pokhara (850 m); 6 hrs.
Day 04Pokhara to Pothana (1,970 m); 5 hrs.
Day 05Pothana to Forest Camp (2,550 m); 7 hrs.
Day 06Forest Camp to High Camp (4,200 m); 6 hrs.
Day 07High Camp to Mardi Himal Base Camp.
Day 08Mardi Himal Base Camp to Siding Village (1,280 m); 7 hrs.
Day 09Siding Village to Pokhara (850 m); 2 - 5 hrs trek & 1 hr drive.
Day 10Sightseeing and relaxing Pokhara.
Day 11Drive/fly from Pokhara to Kathmandu.
Day 12Departure to destination.
What to Expect
- Airport – hotel -airport picks up and drops by private vehicle in Kathmandu.
- Hotel in Kathmandu (3 nights) and Pokhara (3 nights) on BB plan as per category.
- Meals on full board (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) one item menu during trekking period.
- Best available accommodations during the trek in Teahouse.
- An experienced Government license holder guide.
- Trekking porter /Sherpa to carry your bags during the trekking 2:1, max 15 KG baggage/porter.
- Food, drinks, accommodation, insurance, salary, equipment, transportation, local tax for Guide and porters.
- All land transportation as per itinerary
- Pokhara to Kathmandu domestic flight
- Group medical supplies (first aid kit will be available) if required.
- Trekking map
- All trekking permits including TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management System) and ACAP.
- All government taxes and our service charges.
- Farewell Dinner before departure.
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Your Travel insurance.
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Nepal entry visa fee.
- Tips for guides and porter. (Tipping is expected but not mandatory).
- All kind drinks (hot, cold and alcoholic)
- Personal shopping and laundry etc.
- Personal trekking Equipment.
While taking Mardi Himal trek, you will be welcomed with a soothing silence that isn’t found in any other trekking trails. As the trek progresses from various beautiful villages and dense forests, you will have the chance to spoil yourself into Himalayan nature. Similarly, throughout the trail, you will get to see breathtaking scenery and outstanding views of Himalayan mountains like Mt. Annapurna (8,091 m), Mardi Himal (5,587 m), Mt. Dhaulagiri (8,167 m), Mt. Nilgiri (7,061 m), Mt. Machhapuchhre (6,993 m), etc.
Mardi Himal Trek landmark
Pokhara is a beautiful valley known for its charming climate and tranquil lakes. Pokhara is also the starting point of many outdoor activities and trek in the Annapurna region. You will get to spend two nights here. You can do activities like boating on the Fewa Lake under the dawn while enjoying striking views of Mt. Fishtail (6,993 m) or just sit & relax in of the many cafes and enjoy the sunsets.
Located at 2,600 meters, Forest Camp is one of the best stops during the Mardi Himal Trek. This place is also known as Kokar among the locals. To reach this place, you will trek through beautiful forests of maple, hemlock, rhododendron, and oak. Here, you will find small lodges that will give you the real wild experience of spending the night in the middle of the forests. You can hear the buzzing sound of crickets that will intensify the night.
Mardi Himal Base Camp
Located at 4,250 meters, Mardi Himal Base Camp is the main highlight of Mardi Himal Trekking. From here, you will get to witness panoramic views of Mardi Himal, Annapurna Range, Mt. Machhapuchhre along with sweeping vistas of the Himalaya foothills and picturesque villages like of Ghandruk, Chomrong, and Pokhara.
On Mardi Himal Trek, you will get to know the prevalent culture, traditions, and lifestyles of the locals that thrive in its silent corners. The entire region perfectly presents a superb blend of Hinduism and Buddhism. During the trek, you will stay overnight in a guesthouse that will give you a deep insight into the lives of locals.
Mardi Himal Trek will take you to many traditional villages on the way. People from ethnic groups like Chhetris, Brahmins, and Gurungs resides in these villages. They have their customs, language, traditions, dress, and assortments. As you will get to stay overnight in these villages, you will have a golden opportunity to experience this cultural diversity in one single place and be part of their unique lifestyle.
Mardi Himal Trekking is not only about gorgeous views and rich cultural experience. The trail passes by several lush and dense forests where you will get to see huge species of flora. Most of the trail passes by forests of rhododendron, magnolia, pine, maple, hemlock, and oak. Along with that, the trail will also include views of beautiful terraced fields and farmlands. The forest you will pass by is home to many wildlife like red panda, wood pheasants, and Danphe (national bird of Nepal). Who knows when you will come across one of them, and this increases the wilderness side of the Mardi Himal Trekking.
Mardi Himal Trek difficulty
Mardi Himal trek is initially easy as you have to walk on flat trails, but as the trail advances, the elevation increases and so does uphill walking. You may have to walk for more than 4 to 5 hours a day or sometimes even more than that. Also, Mardi Himal Trek is known for off-the-beaten trekking experience, therefore the trail also includes many rugged and steep paths. However, the team at Go For Nepal Treks & Expedition will help you design a perfect itinerary that will cater all your needs and complete the trek without having any problem. For further information, feel free to contact us at any time.
Altitude Sickness and Prevention
Mardi Himal trek will take you above 4,000 meters, and the high elevation can also trigger altitude sickness to some people. Altitude sickness or Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) can occur to anyone regardless of their age and health condition. Therefore, it is very important to acclimatize properly in the lower elevation before heading higher. In case, if you feel difficulty in breathing and nauseous, drop down to lower elevation and rest until you feel better before moving ahead.
The best thing you can do to avoid AMS is by keeping yourself hydrated during the trek. Do not consume any alcoholic drinks as it dehydrates the body. Also, ask your travel company to include enough rest days in between the trek for acclimatization.
Transportation and Bag Pack
You will drive or fly from Kathmandu to Pokhara. From Pokhara, you will take a short drive to Kande and begin trekking towards Mardi Himal Base Camp.
Here is the list of things you should carry during the Mardi Himal Trek:
- T-shirts and Pants (Innerwear).
- Thermal Wears.
- Breathable Underwears.
- Trekking Pants/Shoes/Socks.
- Insulating Jacket.
- Rain jacket.
- Sun hat.
- Sleeping bag.
- Trekking Pole.
- First aid kit.
- Toiletries (toilet paper, hand sanitizer, sunblock, towel, soap, shampoo, sanitary napkins, etc).
- Miscellaneous (camera, extra batteries, journal, cards, bars, snacks, water purification tablets, etc).
Food and Accommodation during Mardi Himal Trekking
During this Mardi Himal trek, you will be staying at guesthouses and small lodges. This is a relatively new trail so there are not many guesthouses and lodges available, but fear not as you don’t have to camp. You will have food as per the menu of the place you are staying. Dishes like chapati, rice, curries (veg/non-veg), momo, chowmin, thukpa, bread, bakeries, bars, snacks, tea, coffee, etc.
In the major cities, there are 3-star and 5-star hotels, which will be your place of residence. These hotels have their own restaurants, and if you don’t like their food, then there is the option of eating at any nearby restaurants.
Best Season to go on Mardi Himal Trek
The Mardi Himal trek can be best done either during the Spring season or during the Autumn season. As per many reviews, it is best advised that you take this trek during Autumn. The main reason behind it is that the views are much more promising during this time of the year, and there are fewer chances of landslides and other blockages. Some of the teahouses in these parts are only open during the peak trekking season so it would be best to travel during this time of the year.
Mardi Himal Trek Cost
Mardi Himal Trek cost solely depends on the company you are traveling with and the facilities you are choosing during the journey. Things like the number of days, mode of transportation, route, time of the year, and accommodation also change the cost to go on this trek. Also, the cost does not includes your airfare, insurance, tips, and personal expenses. As per your time and requirements, you can always shorten the itinerary, and this also reduces the overall costs of the trek.
- Make sure to carry insect repellents and table salts.
- Collect enough information on the weather and temperature.
- Get yourself a map.
- Maintain body hydration.
- Walk slow.
- Carry hand cash.
- Pack light.
- Do not get obsessed over network and internet; spend time in nature.