Upper Mustang Trek will take you to the ancient kingdom of Mustang region, Lo Manthang. This is one of the most famous treks of Nepal to one of the most isolated regions. As the region us untouched by any modernization, you will get to experience raw nature and the unique lifestyle of the locals. Known as the forbidden kingdom, trekking to Mustang was closed for a long period and opened to foreigners not so long ago. However, the entire region comes under the restricted area of Nepal and to travel here, one needs to take special permission from the government of Nepal. Because of this and expensive permit, only handful trekkers get to visit Mustang every year.
- Trek through picturesque villages of Jomsom, Kagbeni, and Charang.
- Explore Lo Manthang.
- Go on a short hike to Namgyal Gompa.
- Visit Tingkhar.
- Explore Ghar Gompa.
- Visit Muktinath Temple.
- Witness stunning views of Annapurna range, Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Machhapuchhre, Mt. Nilgiri, Mt. Ganggpurna, etc.
Day 01Arrival in Kathmandu via respective Airlines.
Day 02In Kathmandu with an optional tour and trek preparation.
Day 03Drive or fly to Pokhara (950 m); 30 mins flight & 6 hrs drive.
Day 04Morning Flight to Jomsom (2,700 m) and trek to Kagbeni; 4 hrs.
Day 05Trek to Chele (3,050 m); 6 hrs.
Day 06Trek to Geling (3,540 m); 5 hrs.
Day 07Trek to Charang (3,560 m); 6 hrs.
Day 08Trek to Lo-Manthang (3,700 m); 4 hrs.
Day 09In Lo-Manthang for acclimatization and local hike.
Day 10Trek to Drakmar (3,810 m); 6 hrs.
Day 11Trek to Ghiling (3,806 m); 6 hrs.
Day 12Trek to Chusang (2,980 m); 6 hrs.
Day 13Trek to Muktinath (3,800 m); 4 hrs.
Day 14Morning enjoy the views and visit holy Muktinath and drive to Jomsom.
Day 15From Jomsom morning fly back to Pokhara.
Day 16Drive or fly back to Kathmandu.
Day 17Transfer to International Airport for flight homeward bound.
What to Expect
- Airport picks up/ transfer.
- 2 nights in 3 or 4 star standard hotel in Kathmandu with BB plan.
- Guided tour of Kathmandu valley with private car, entrance of all the temples and monuments fees.
- Welcome and Farewell dinner at one of the typical Nepalese restaurant with Traditional dance & Music.
- Mustang special permit/TIMS Card.
- Drive from Kathmandu-Pokhara by private vehicle.
- All monuments/ entrance fees.
- 2 nights standard hotel in Pokhara on BB plan as per as itinerary suggested.
- pokhara -Jomsom-pokhara by plane.
- 12nights/ 13 days of complete trek of Upper Mustang Trek will full board of meals (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner, tea coffee) one item menu.
- Mt. accommodation twin share- comfortable and clean (two nights attached bath).
- One Advance Adventures Trek Leader( Gov. Licensed, first aid and eco trained), his entire expenses, equipment and insurance.
- Entire cost of porter and Sherpa’s- one porter for each two member in a group.
- All the Gov. and local taxes.
- Group medicine kit box.
- High altitude chamber bag for trek safety(available on above 4 pax).
- Departure transfer.
- Nepal Visa, in/out flight to Kathmandu.
- Your meals at Kathmandu & Pokhara, except provided dinner and breakfast.
- Entire beverages, mineral water, beer etc. while on trek.
- Travel Insurance(Must include Helicopter evacuation and trip cancellation).
- Personal Nature Expenses.
- Tips to guide and porter.
- Any Extending TripsSoft/hard drinks, laundry, postage, telephone bills, all items of personal nature.
- Personal clothing, insuranceagainst accidental, medical and emergency rescue evacuations.
- International Flight.
Upper Mustang Trek presents barren and dry landscape. Located in the rain shadow region of Mt. Annapurna and Mt. Dhaulagiri, the Mustang region is similar to Tibetan plateau. From alluring villages of Mustang to the cultural richness, Upper Mustang is one of the most exotic destinations in Nepal. During the Upper Mustang Trekking, you will get to witness stunning views of dry hills and unique rocks along with Mt. Nilgiri (7,061 m), Annapurna range (8,091 m), Mt. Dhaulagiri (8,167 m), etc.
Upper Mustang Trek landmark
Jomsom is one of the most gorgeous places in Nepal. Located in the trans-Himalayan region of Annapurna, Jomsom sits at the base of Mt.Nilgiri and Dhaulagiri. Here, you will find many facilities from the nice lodge to wifi and airstrip.
Lo Manthang is a beautiful village, also known as the forbidden kingdom. You will find the palace of the king here. There are so many things to explore in this village and nearby it.
Muktinath temple is one of the pilgrimage sites of Hindus. Every year hundreds of pilgrims visit this temple to worship. The temple boat thousands of year old tradition and history.
Upper Mustang is extremely rich in culture. The region includes many artistic and ancient monasteries that will present you hundreds of years of old traditions and beliefs to you. The region is highly influenced by Tibetan Buddhist culture and lifestyle. Likewise, during the Upper Mustang Trek, you will also visit Muktinath Temple, one of the holiest temples of Hindus.
The people in Upper Mustang are said to be the descendants of Tibetans people. Back in time, people from Tibet traveled to this place for trading and some of them settled here as well. The locals here follow lifestyle as they used to have hundreds of years back. Upper Mustang Trek is the best way to travel back in time and be part of one of the most intriguing community.
Upper Mustang boasts a dry and arid landscape. The region doesn't have any vegetation except for a few plants that are grown in dry regions. However, you will get to witness breath-taking barren nature along with the huge formation of rocks, dry hills, caves, and canyons. In the lower altitude, you will find subtropical vegetation along with dense forests. Similarly, the trail also passes by beautiful forests of rhododendrons.
Upper Mustang Trek difficulty
Upper Mustang Trek is a difficult trek. As the region is dry and barren, it gets windy during the afternoon, which makes the trek more difficult. Plus, there is no great variety of food available like other trails and you have to adjust to what you get. Likewise, the trail also involves many ups & downs on a steep and rugged path. Therefore, to go on Upper Mustang trek 17-days, you have to be in good shape and health.
Altitude Sickness and Prevention
Upper Mustang Trek is a high elevation trek that means you will be trekking 3,500 meters, and high elevation trekking always brings altitude sickness with itself. Also known as AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness), altitude sickness is a common illness trekker get while traveling in the higher elevation. To avoid this, add enough acclimatization day in the trek and drink plenty of water.
Transportation and Bag Pack
Upper Mustang Trek 17-days begins with a scenic drive from Pokhara to Jomsom. From here, you will ascend to Lo Manthang village and descend to Muktinath Temple crossing challenging Thorong La Pass. The trail then drops down to Jomsom from where you will fly back to Pokhara.
Here is the list of things you should carry during the Upper Mustang Trek:
- T-shirts and Pants (Innerwear)
- Thermal Wears
- Lightweight woolen jumper/sweater
- Down jacket or down vest
- Fleece or wool trousers
- Breathable Underwears
- Trekking Pants/Shoes/Socks
- Casual Sandals
- Insulating Jacket
- Rain jacket
- Sleeping bag
- Trekking Pole
- Toiletries (sunscreen, Multipurpose Soap, Shampoo, Hand sanitizer, Toilet Paper, Sanitary pads, Lip guard, moisturizers, etc)
- Miscellaneous (Binoculars, eye mask, camera, extra batteries, journal, cards, bars, snacks, water purification tablets, etc)
- Documents (passport, visa, travel insurance, voucher, passport-sized photos)
Food and Accommodation during Upper Mustang Trek
During your time in the Upper Mustang Trek, you will spend the night in the teahouse. There are no fancy lodges here, so you need to suffice with the local teahouses. However, in the main cities like Kathmandu and Pokhara, you can reside in 3-star to 5-star hotels. Your budget will be a major deciding factor.
In the trail, you’ll mostly dine on dal bhat whereas, in the city, you can choose from a variety of cuisines. While on the trail, you won’t eat anything fancy. You can expect to find Tibetan and Nepali dishes on the high altitude. Where in the lower region, you can find dishes like noodles, momo, rice, curries, flatbread, sandwich, and the egg will be available.
Best time to go on Upper Mustang Trek
When all parts of Nepal is receiving heavy rainfall making the trail slippery and dangerous, Upper Mustang receives little to no rainfall. As the region falls under rain shadow, you can go on this trek during monsoon. Besides that, Spring and Autumn are also a good time to trek in the Upper Mustang region.
Upper Mustang Trek Cost
Upper Mustang Trek depends on the travel agency you are traveling with. The cost can be budget-friendly too expensive as per your requirements. Usually, the trek cost includes all ground transportation as per itinerary, permits, accommodation, meals, guide, and porters. However, things like travel insurance, visa fees, trekking equipment, personal expenses, tips are not included in the cost. You can check our cost includes and excludes section for detailed information.
- Carry insect repellents and table salts
- Collect adequate information on the weather and temperature
- Get yourself a good map
- Pack light
- Maintain body hydration
- Walk slow
- Carry hand cash
- Do not get obsessed over network and internet